Friday, January 15, 2010

HTML, FTP, Embedded Codes, Oh My!

So it seems to be popular opinion that if you set out to create a website, use social media tools like Twitter and Facebook, and make a documentary, you are good with technology.

Au contraire, mon frere. There is an exception to everything and I am that exception here.

Half the time I don't understand what my BlackBerry smartphone is doing with all of its blinking and little updates, let alone know how to get it to do what I want it to. (However, I do know sadly from experience, that an incessant blinking red light means impending doom and death is on its way, if not already arrived, for your multi-hundred dollar piece of technology.) An even bigger slice to my pride is that up until a few months ago I had no clue you could change your Google mail background theme. You will be happy to know that mine now is the "tree" theme - it changes your background to fit with the weather. Coolness.

And lastly, until just a few weeks ago this whole HTML business could have stood for just about anything in my mind except for what it actually does stand for, "Hypertext Markup Language."

I many not naturally be tech-savvy, but I am good at doing my homework, reading up on the latest "how-to" articles, and most importantly (especially for my sanity!) knowing when to give up and say, "I Need Help!"

Here are some helpful links for the technologically illiterate like myself.

W3schools.com
A great website for people looking to learn about web building. The best part about this site is that they give great information and it's free! HTML, XHTML, CSS, Flash - you don't know it? They do.

Mintblogger.com
Rajeev Edmonds, describes himself as a problogger, technical editor, and social media enthusiast. @MintBlogger on Twitter, Rajeev does a great job of posting links to articles and blogs about the best ways to utilize social media.

JohnHaydon.com
John Haydon, does social media and inbound marketing for nonprofits. His site is the place to go to if you are new to Twitter and want to learn how to make the most of it. You can follow him on Twitter @johnhaydon but I find his website to be the most helpful. He also does a really cool 31 day challenge to optimize your blog with social media. Day 15 of the challenge, "Twelve Steps to Creating a Bootylicious Facebook Page."

My Brother-In-Law
A tech-savvy God. He knows everything. When all else fails, he can fix it.



No comments:

Post a Comment